Friday, March 9, 2012

How to make hamburger cup cakes!!!



What you need:

* yellow cake mix

* brownie mix
(and of course the ingredience listed on the back of the boxes, milk, eggs, oil...)

* shredded coconut

* green, yellow, and red food coloring (unless you cheat like I did and used the  pre made frosting that is already colored, if you use that you need red and yellow frosting, but you still need green food coloring)

* Frosting (if you didn't use the premade ones I did, I suggest buttercream or cream cheese, so I didn't have to buy red or yellow food coloring or worry about not getting the color the color I wanted)


* small circular cookie cutter

* seasame seeds

* squirt bottle of water

* zip lock baggies (only needed if you didn't buy the pre-made frosting)


(This all can get pretty pricy about 25 + dollars give or take and about 2 hours but if you have fun and they're a hit then it doesn't cost that much to make more for the next time :) I encourage home made cakes, brownies, frosting, I just dont have the time to invest as a mommy of a needy little boy to do that lol)

Bake brownies according to the box, I suggest following the instructions for the 16" X 9" instructions.  Because you're going to need to use the cookie cutter to make the "burger patty" and you're going to want it to yeild as many as possible.

Bake the cupcakes according to the package ( I suggest leaving it in a couple min past the suggested baking time, to brown the top of the cupcake so they really look like buns... remember brown not burn, you also dont want them dry, so 1-2 min should do the trick, I usually have the oven light on to watch them)

let them cool off for 20 (ish) min.

While you're waiting for them to cool off get 1 1/2 cups of coconut and mix it with a few drops of green coloring, keep adding coloring until you get the color you want your "lettuce" to look like!  I loved the deeper green personally

If you decided to make your own frosting separate it into two zip lock baggies, mix in the food coloring until you get what color you desire for the red "ketchup" and yellow (either "mustard" or "cheese")

Now lets get to work!!

use the cookie cutter to make the "patties" try do do them as close together as possible so you can get as many as you can.  If you dont have a cookie cutter I think it's fine because I got the brownie peices that were left over and balled and smushed them into patties, to me they looked more authentic, but some people like the "pretty" and uniform aspect of things.  Just make sure you have something to measure so they're all approximately the same size and thickness of the patty.

cut your cup cakes in half (I placed them on a separate cookie sheet) I had the "patties" on one cookie sheet and the "buns" on the other. You dont have to do this it just made it easier to grab them

If you're using the zip lock baggies, a tiny piece of the corner of the red baggie line the bottom bun with red frosting

add the "patty" to the buns

then cut the bottome of the yellow baggy then add "mustard" or "cheese"

add your shredded "lettuce"

and place the top of the "bun" on the cupcake

now spray a mist (if you dont have a spray bottle get a bowl of water and lightly wipe water on the buns) then sprinkle the seasame seeds on top...

there you have it, hamburger cupcakes... nom nom nom :)

Sorry if I knew I was going to write it out I would've had more pictures then just the finished product.







No comments:

Post a Comment